Monday, September 7, 2009

7 September

Wow, what a learning curve I experienced today. We have a bank account in a Peruvian bank so that we can tranfer money from the US and have it available to us here. The account also has the equivalent of a debit card we use to make purchases. After we had contracted with Coqui, the architect, for the soil samples and the redesign accordingly, I promised to send the money electronically. Easy enough, right? No. first of all, I forgot the 6 digit password to enter into the account. (This is different than the four digit number I use for debit purchases.) So, after trying three times, I was barred from entering our account until the next day...(that was yesterday.) So this morning I tried again, but the password still wasn't right. The information on the web page said to call the bank if I had forgot the password. So I call...remember everything is in Spanish, rapid Spanish. After several, "no comprendo" (I don't understand) I finally got all the security questions answered and then was told, (I'm sure,) what to do and "have a nice day." Well nothing came in the e-mail; so I waited and waited. Later, I logged in again and found a button for creating your password. That done, I finally log in but before I can initiate any transfers, the page times out. At this point, I give up. I will try later. This evening after dark and when we had electricity, I logged on again. This time I got all the 6 digit password correct but it asked for another 6 digit number. This number is on a electronic key issued by the bank when we set up our account. This number automatically changes every minute or so. I punch in the number and, sure enough, it changes between the time I get it in and can click on the "next" button. Once more I go back to the electronic key and wait for it to change; knowing I now had a minute to complete the process. Finally all was done; money transfered.
The rest of the day was devoted to measuring out the property lines and marking the for the topographer who is supposed to come in the morning. We also laid out where the house and swimming pool would sit. At this point our property is at three different levels. Originally, we bought two plots, each having been leveled out separately. Then we moved one of the property lines to make the property a bit more usable which then took in land at a third level. The topographer's job will to determine the elevations of each and determine where it should be leveled to for one level throughout.
We've also started a compost pile. We worried about neighborhood dogs getting into it as we doubted they ate anything other than scraps from the table. So our compost pile is now buryed under some rather hefty rocks.
The caretaker for the property took very good care of us today. He swept the house, gathered the garbage, brought me screwdrivers to put my small loom together and came to tell us when the electricity was on.
After dark, we had half an hour of electricity before it went off again. That precious half hour goes to charging cell phones, computer and other electronics. Luis never came up today to install the newer batteries, as the generators for the hotel he manages were not functioning and he had to sent them to Lima for repairs.
I did manage to set up my small loom. I started planning out a project to make some washcloths as these seem to be an American thing. I only got so far before darkness came.
As for plumbing, it is standard not to flush toilet paper as most sanitary systems can't handle it. There are alway small cans for the disposal of TP. However, one of us forgot the routine tonight and the one working toilet is backed up. Ahh, the wonders of Peru! This will have to wait until morning, as we have no lights and no tools to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment